Dreaming of death and dying can be quite a frightening experience, especially if you dream of the death of a loved one or even yourself. Many people naturally wake up very worried when they dream of death or dying Fortunately, dreams about death and dying are usually not precognitive dreams that predict the future – death is usually just a symbol in the dream – often signifying a change.
Dream of dying with death
How to interpret your dream about death
- What are your personal experiences with death? Most people are very uncomfortable with the notion of death, although some are very comfortable talking about it and accept it. Your own personal experiences and meanings of death (as well as your beliefs about what happens when someone dies) will play a part in understanding the symbolism of death in your dream.
- How do you describe the person who died in the dream? Are these qualities the ones you recognize are missing in yourself or have undergone a change? What is your relationship with the person? Many dream theories believe that the people in our dreams represent parts of ourselves.
- What else happened in the dream? Death in dreams is usually a way to get your attention, but the other objects and details of the dream will provide more clues, what caught your attention or what message the dream is trying to convey to you.
- What kind of death was it? Did you dream of a calm and relaxing death or a violent murder? A calm and relaxing death could signify a transition or change that you are experiencing. A violent murder could symbolize anger, hate, or fear. The way someone dies in a dream will give you many clues as to what exactly the dream may mean.
- How did you feel when you woke up? were you scared? Sad? Angry? Relaxed? The way you feel during a dream and after you wake up from a dream can provide you with a lot of information about the meaning of the dream.
Common Dream Symbols for Death
Death is usually a symbol of something, often of your feelings towards someone or something. Below are some of the common symbols to dream about death and dying.
Fear of the unknown: No one really knows for sure what happens when we die. Some believe that we go to heaven, others believe that nothing happens at all. There is a lot of uncertainty about death, and dreaming of death could symbolize uncertainty or fear of the unknown. This is especially likely if your dream about death occurred in a dream of an apocalypse .Coming to the end: Many see death as the end of life and the end of everything. There could be something in your life that is coming to an end, perhaps in your relationships, your career, or even the end of a problem or burden that has been bothering you. It can also symbolize the end of bad habits, such as drinking, smoking or gambling.
Loss, Grief : Grief is a very powerful emotion that often accompanies death. Are you experiencing something in your waking life? Again, it could be related to your relationships, losing something of importance and value to you, or losing control of something in your life. Many people are afraid of losing what they have, so it is not an uncommon theme that we see in dreams.
Change, transition : Many people believe that death is a transition from one life to the next. Change is one of the most common interpretations of death in a dream. Dreaming of death in some cases can mean seeing a change in your problems, your relationships or your career.
Common types of dreams about death
There are many different types of dreams about death. These are some of the most common themes we see in dreams.
Death of a loved one: Dreaming of the death of a loved one can mean that you are afraid of losing something important or valuable. Think about your relationship with the person… Is it changing? Or does the person symbolize something else in your life?
Death of yourself: Dreaming of your own death could mean several different things. It could mean that you feel fear or anxiety about a situation in your waking life, or that things seem uncertain. It can also mean that you are going through a change in your life, be it in your relationships, in your career, or that you are breaking a habit.
The death of a child: Dreaming of the death of a child can be especially disturbing. If it is your own children, it can symbolize that they are reaching the end of a stage in their life (such as going from childhood to school age, or from adolescence to university) or it can symbolize that you fear for their well-being. Dreaming of the death of a child could also symbolize your own inner child, perhaps you need to be more playful, spontaneous or creative.
The death of a friend : Dreaming of the death of a friend often means that something is ending in the friendship, or that the friendship is undergoing a change. How is your relationship with this friend in real life? Does your friendship need some attention? Also, think carefully about how you describe the person. Are these some characteristics of you that are missing or undergoing a change?
The death of an animal : Animals in dreams can mean a number of different things. Dreaming of one’s death depends on the type of animal and your relationship with it. For example, dreaming of the death of a pet can symbolize a change in company or friendship. Dreaming of the death of a ferocious animal can symbolize overcoming a fear or an obstacle. Also, think about the qualities you would use to describe the animal. Could any of these qualities that you identify with be undergoing a change?
Dreaming of the deceased: Dreaming of those who have died is not uncommon, especially if you were close to the person or had a deep connection to something. Sometimes these dreams are just a part of the grieving process, others believe that they can be a real communication with the loved one.